Tuesday, October 26, 2010

SWEDISH FLATBREAD

Swedish Flatbread is part of my family heritage which like many Chuckwagon Cooks, heritage influences how we cook. As a child, I remember my grandmother baking this for my grandpa during visits each year to our home in Texas as they would get away from the North Dakota winters.

As a cowboy, we often make a similar bread called Pan De Campo which I began enjoying after discovering Cowboy cooking. I hope you enjoy and look forward to your comments.

SWEDISH FLATBREAD
This is something really good and can be done either whether you cook indoors or outdoors. I prefer to just fire up a few small cut logs and take to the outdoors to cook. Well for two reasons. First, I then never dirty the wife's kitchen, and second my mother in law lives with us and just can not stand to see the white enamel surface of our stove get marks on it with out cleaning it immediately after use. So, I go to the yard where I here the cows moan, watch the dogs run along the fence line and my son Austin becomes the head Chef as I become his assistant. This is a treat that you won't be crying UFF-DA as you enjoy the full taste.

Ingredients

* 2 c White flour
* 3/4 c Rye flour
* 1/4 c Sugar
* 1/2 ts Baking soda
* 1/2 ts Salt
* 1/2 c Butter or margarine
* 1 c Buttermilk
* 2 tb Fennel seed

should you desire to add Cinnamon and or brown sugar: this can also be added
but changes the normal recipe.


Preparation

In a bowl, blend flour, sugar, salt and soda. Cut in margarine until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in buttermilk and add fennel seeds. Once the mixture holds together, shape into small balls and roll on floured board to make very thin rounds four to five inches in diameter. For indoor Baking:  Place on a ungreased sheet at 375F five minutes or until light brown.

CAST IRON DUTCH OVEN: Using large Dutch oven, shape in one larger ball then roll out rounded to the size of dutch oven. This should not be thicker than 3/8 inch thick once rolled out. Place into the dutch oven. Place Oven on open coals and place about 12-15 coals over lid to help cook evenly. Once again it cooks in 5-8 minutes.

For the sweeter tooth: Brown sugar and cinnamon can be added as a sprinkle over the rolled out dough prior to cooking: Ensure not to get brown sugar on the bottom of pan as it will burn. A dash sprinkle works best prior to placing in pan. This does change the original Swedish flat bread recipe but is too, is also very good. I hope you enjoy.

return to recipes:

return to Chuck Wagons

No comments:

Post a Comment