Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Secret Recipes:

Nothing pleases my palate than the taste of superb barbecue. Be it pork ribs, brisket or even chicken, I just enjoy the flavors of many rubs and sauces used in the making for great taste. Barbecue often becomes heated discussion with great debates of what makes one type of barbecue cooking better than the other. Why even the spelling barbecue or barbeque is argued as which is truly correct.

Nevertheless, what amazes me more is the recipes.  Just the other day, I asked my brother in law on his barbecue sauce recipe, because he makes some of the best tasting chicken cooked in the southwest. Jack knows his sauce and knows his chicken. It is always a delight for the family get together when it's at my sisters home in Westlake on the Austin, Texas suburbs. The why is a simple answer to that question. It's because Jack has hosted over a 100 gatherings providing great barbecue and his secret recipe for chicken.

Odd, these highly prized recipes often become more guarded than Fort Knox. Hush Hush amongst the not to know and sometimes receiving replies as if they were guarding national security. It is as if asking a member of the military "What do you do" receiving the replies, "I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you" attitude.

Regardless, these recipes remain secret and the arguments continue to sometimes become a family feud, as that of my favorite barbecue house in the nations capitol of best barbecue the world over located in Lockhart, Texas. They have a half dozen great tasting BBQ houses but the best of family feud is another story between the Smitty's and Kreuz Market. However, I won't share that story today. I'll just leave it as my brother in law did, It's in the sauce and that's all I'm going to say.

Story by Roger Edison

return to recipes:

No comments:

Post a Comment